The College of Engineering believes in using our collective abilities and interests to engage in our community. In support of this goal, we are now offering benefits-eligible staff up to one full day of paid time per calendar year to volunteer outside of UD at 501(c)(3) charitable organizations or to work or volunteer for agencies of the federal, state, or local government.
Simply clear the date with your supervisor and complete this form for tracking purposes. The program requires that you give sufficient notice, use the time in either half- or full-day increments, and submit the completed form to HR.
This is our way of acknowledging the work you want to do, to strengthen our community.
For complete details, read the guidelines for Volunteer Time for COE Staff. Contact Chrissy Shinn (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Guidelines | Volunteer Time for COE Staff
To encourage employee engagement, and support the College of Engineering’s impact in the communities it serves, COE provides eligible employees up to one full day of paid time per calendar year to volunteer outside of UD at 501(c)(3) charitable organizations or to work or volunteer for agencies of the federal, state, or local government (“paid volunteer time”).
- Benefits-eligible staff and non-faculty administrators in the College of Engineering are immediately eligible at hire, and on every July 1 thereafter.
- Volunteer time may be taken only in half- or full-day increments, up to a maximum of one full day per calendar year.
- Volunteer time must occur during the employee’s standard work week and is not considered “time worked” for overtime or compensatory time purposes.
- Unused volunteer time may not be carried over from year to year, is not transferable, and will not be paid upon termination.
- Employees are not required to participate in this program.
- Any volunteer work done by an employee is at the employee’s own risk.
- The College of Engineering will neither control nor direct employees’ volunteer work. The College of Engineering does not endorse or sanction any organization for which its employees may choose to volunteer.
- Employees must receive prior approval from their supervisor and submit an online tracking form before using paid time for external volunteer activities.
- Requests for volunteer time should be made with reasonable advance notice. Two weeks is recommended, but shorter notice may be granted at the supervisor’s discretion.
- Employees are responsible for ensuring that volunteer time is spent with a charitable organization exempt from tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or government agency. The College of Engineering may require verification of the organization’s status.
- All charitable participation is welcomed and acceptable for this program. In deciding whether to approve requests for volunteer time, the supervisor should consider department staffing needs and work requirements, but should not consider the nature or mission of the 501(c)(3) charitable organization or government agency.
- COE HR will maintain a record of all activities submitted via the online form. Employees and their supervisors should also maintain records of submitted requests.